The National Academy of Social Insurance, in partnership with the National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research, sponsored this workshop to showcase disability and employ-related research findings and initiatives.
8:30am Registration, coffee, and light breakfast
- Margaret Simms, National Academy of Social Insurance
- Timothy Muzzio, National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- Moderator: Margaret Campbell, National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- Johnette Hartnett, Asset Accumulation and Economic Self Sufficiency, National Disability Institute and University of Iowa College of Law
- John Kregel, Workplace Supports and Job Retention, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Jon Sanford, Workplace Accommodations, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Richard Balkus, Disability Demonstration Projects, Social Security Administration
10:30am PART 2: RESPONSE FROM EXPERTS IN POLICY IMPLEMENTATION
What needs to happen to implement the research findings in policy? What are the opportunities and barriers? What are the implications of the evidence-based research for social insurance, income security, and tax policy?
- Moderator: Laurel Beedon, National Academy of Social Insurance
- Sue Suter, Social Security Administration
- David Wittenburg, Mathematica Policy Research
- Christopher Button, U.S. Department of Labor
11:30am PART 3: OPEN DISCUSSION AND KNOWLEDGE TRANSLATION
If we were to adopt the evidence-informed policies presented in Parts 1 and 2, what strategies are needed to put the policy into practice? What are the opportunities and barriers?
- Moderator: Marty Ford, The Arc and UCP Public Policy Collaboration
- Discussant: Susan Daniels, Daniels and Associates
- Discussant: Michael Morris, National Disability Institute
- Questions and discussion with all participants
12:20pm WRAP-UP AND ADJOURN